Adaptogenic mushrooms are a family of fungi that are known for their ability to help the body adapt to stressors and challenging circumstances. These unique mushrooms have been used by cultures worldwide for their healing properties.
While there are many different adaptogenic mushrooms, the most well-known types include reishi, cordyceps, and chaga. These beneficial fungi each have properties that help the body respond positively to stressors in everyday life.
When your body is under constant pressure from work, school, family obligations, or other stressors, it can affect your physical and mental health. This can lead to insomnia, anxiety, fatigue, headaches, lack of concentration, weight gain from overeating as a coping mechanism, or depression.
In this blog post, we’ll be diving into the details about what precisely adaptogenic mushrooms are—including what makes them unique—as well as the various ways these powerful superfoods can help you cope with stressors in your life and get back on track with your health goals when you’re feeling off balance.
What Are Adaptogenic Mushrooms?
Mushrooms are fungi grown in many different climates and come in many shapes and sizes. While they’re often used in cooking, some mushrooms are medicinal and can be used as herbal supplements.
The most well-known types of medicinal mushrooms are called adaptogenic mushrooms. These mushrooms have been used for thousands of years in Eastern cultures as herbal remedies for various health issues, including stress, anxiety, fatigue, and more.
How Do Adaptogenic Mushrooms Help the Body?
Adaptogenic mushrooms contain compounds called beta-glucans, which have been found to stimulate the immune system. This can help you manage stress-related illnesses such as colds and cases of flu, as well as autoimmune conditions like allergies, asthma, and arthritis.
Beta-glucans also have anti-inflammatory properties, which can be helpful for anyone who has a lot of chronic pain in their life. Adaptogens can help with aches and pains and can also be beneficial for reducing anxiety and depression.
Another way in which adaptogenic mushrooms help the body is by regulating hormones. When your body is under constant stress, your hormones become overactive and out of whack.
Adaptogenic mushrooms can help to regulate your hormones and put them back into balance. This can help manage mood and energy levels, holding periods, and much more.
6 Ways Adaptogenic Mushrooms Can Help You Manage Stress
- They help regulate your stress hormones. When you’re under stress, your body produces the hormone cortisol. If you are stressed out or have a stressful lifestyle (toxins, poor sleep, etc.), you likely have an excess of this hormone coursing through your body. This can cause many issues, including weight gain, fatigue, and sugar cravings. Adaptogens can help to reduce the amount of cortisol in your body and regulate your hormones so that you experience less stress and more energy.
- They help your body handle daily stressors. When you’re under stress, you lose a certain amount of energy and focus. It’s difficult to think clearly when daily stressors are bombarding you, and you don’t have enough energy to handle them. Adaptogens help keep your body calm and regulated, so you can easily handle daily stressors.
- They can enhance your cognitive function and help you stay focused. When you’re stressed, it’s easy to get distracted and forgetful. Adaptogens can help enhance your cognitive function so that you stay focused and engaged in your work and remain productive without being stressed out.
- They can help you with insomnia and anxiety. If you’re experiencing chronic insomnia or anxiety, adaptogens can help manage these symptoms. They help to calm your mind and regulate your body so that you feel more relaxed, less anxious, and more able to get a good night’s sleep.
- They can help you manage your blood sugar. If you have a chronic condition like diabetes, you likely have to monitor your blood sugar levels. Adaptogens can help to regulate your blood sugar so that you have a more balanced system and don’t have to worry as much about spikes or drops in your blood sugar.
- They can help you maintain a healthy weight. If you’re under stress, it’s easy to overeat or make poor food choices. Adaptogens can help to regulate your blood sugar and cortisol levels so that you have more energy to exercise and are less likely to overeat.
4 Ways to Incorporate Adaptogenic Mushrooms into Your Diet
- Eat more mushrooms! Mushrooms are a super-healthy food that many people don’t eat often enough. They are shallow in calories and high in fiber, protein, and minerals. Some of the best mushrooms to eat for their adaptogenic properties are reishi and cordyceps.
- Drink an adaptogenic mushroom tea. You can also make tea out of different adaptogenic mushrooms. Add a tablespoon of dried mushrooms (preferably mixed mushrooms) to a cup of hot water, cover, and let steep for 10-15 minutes. Make sure to drink slowly to get the most benefits from the tea.
- Take an adaptogenic mushroom supplement. You can also take an adaptogenic mushroom supplement. Many different brands of adaptogenic mushroom supplements are available, and they come in various forms, including capsules and pills, powder, and tinctures. Be sure to choose a brand that is high quality and made out of real mushrooms.
- Be mindful of your diet as a whole. While it is helpful to focus on eating mushrooms, it’s also crucial to be mindful of your diet as a whole. Eating a healthy diet full of whole foods while avoiding processed foods and sugars can help you to manage your stress and keep yourself healthy.
To get the most out of your mushrooms, choose a high-quality brand and eat them regularly. They go well in stir-fries, salads, soups, and more. If you’re feeling stressed and overwhelmed, you must listen to your body and take action.
There’s no shame in needing a break once in a while from demanding work or family obligations. It’s normal! And adaptogenic mushrooms can help you manage daily stressors and come back stronger than ever.