We all know that collagen is good for our skin, hair, and nails. But did you know it’s also great for our joints, gut health, and overall wellness? If you want to add more collagen to your diet, check out this article for the top 5 collagen-rich foods you should eat!
So what is collagen?
Collagen is a protein found in our bodies connective tissue. It is responsible for giving our skin its elasticity and strength. Several foods are rich in collagen and can help boost collagen production in our bodies.
These include bone broth, chicken, fish, and eggs. Adding these foods to your diet can help to keep your skin looking young and healthy.
Bone broth is particularly rich in collagen. Simmering bones make it in water for an extended period.
This releases the collagen from the bones into the broth. Chicken, fish, and eggs also contain high levels of collagen.
Adding collagen-rich foods to your diet is a great way to keep your skin looking young and healthy. Bone broth, chicken, fish, and eggs are all excellent sources of collagen. Including these foods in your diet can help you maintain youthful-looking skin as you age.
The benefits of collagen
As we age, our bodies produce less collagen. This can lead to wrinkles, sagging skin, and joint pain. Adding collagen-rich foods to your diet can help combat aging effects.
The best collagen-rich foods include bone broth, eggs, fish, and leafy green vegetables. Bone broth is particularly rich in collagen, as it is made from animal bones and connective tissues.
Fish such as salmon and tuna are also good sources of collagen. Leafy greens such as spinach and kale are also high in collagen. Adding these collagen-rich foods to your diet can help to improve your overall health and reduce the signs of aging.
The top collagen-rich foods
A few essential foods are rich in collagen and can help boost your levels of this critical protein. Simmering bones make it in water for an extended period, which allows the collagen to seep into the broth.
Gelatin is another good source of collagen. It is made from animal skin and bones and is often used to make jellies and desserts.
- Salmon: If you’re looking for the best source of collagen, you can't beat salmon. This fish contains about 16 grams of collagen per 100 grams.
- Eggs: You get about 7.5 grams of collagen per 100 grams of eggs.
- Mussels: Mussels are a rich source of collagen. They contain between 8 and 9 grams of collagen per 100 grams.
- Skin-on Chicken: My favorite is chicken thighs, which you can quickly cook skin-on.
- Beef bone broth is packed with collagen. Bone broth also contains high levels of amino acids proline and glycine, which are essential for collagen production.
- Sardines: fish collagen is found inside the bones, skin, and fish scales. Small fatty fish also have beneficial omega-3 fatty acids.
- Bone broth: A few foods stand out when it comes to collagen content. One food that is exceptionally high in collagen is bone broth. Simmering bones make bone broth in water for an extended period. This process extracts the collagen from the bones and into the broth. Bone broth can be a delicious and nutritious base for soups, stews, and even just sipped on its own.
How to get more collagen in your diet
1. Eat collagen-rich foods: A few foods are particularly rich in collagen. These include bone broth, chicken, fish, and leafy green vegetables. Adding these foods to your diet can help increase your collagen intake.
2. Take a supplement: If you’re not getting enough collagen from your diet, you can also take a supplement. Collagen supplements are available in powder or capsule form. They can help improve your skin health and reduce the signs of aging. Check out our premium grass-fed bovine collagen peptides.
3. Use a topical product: Another way to get more collagen is to use a topical product that contains collagen. These products can be applied to the skin to help reduce wrinkles and improve skin elasticity.
Adding more collagen to your diet can have several benefits. Collagen is vital for healthy skin, hair, and nails. It can also help reduce the signs of aging. Including collagen-rich foods in your diet or supplements can help you achieve these benefits.
Did you know you can do a bone broth fast? Check out our guide.