When it comes to supplements, protein is definitely a key player. Not only does it play an important role in overall health, but also when it comes to weight loss. However, if you’re not sure which type of protein supplement to take, you don’t have to worry: we’ve got you covered! This article will discuss whey protein isolate and concentrate, their differences, and why you might want to choose one over the other.
The primary difference between isolate and concentrate
Protein concentration is the primary differentiator between concentrate vs. isolated whey.
Whey concentrate is processed with a little more rigor, containing as much as 80 percent protein (the remaining 20 percent of the whey concentrate solution is the solid fats and carbohydrates that are left over from when the liquid is extracted as well).
Whey isolate, on the other hand, goes through additional steps to reach an end product with a concentration of up to 90% protein, deliberately reducing fat and carbohydrate to about 10%.
Whey concentrate is a bit closer to its natural state. There are many benefits to using concentrate whey over isolate, including:
- Concentrate whey is easier to mix with other ingredients.
- Concentrate whey can be used in more recipes because it has a higher protein concentration.
- Concentrate whey is less expensive than isolate.
Whey protein isolate, also known as WPI, is a high-quality, protein-rich source of protein with about 90% concentration.
Whey isolate is processed to remove most of the lactose, which makes it a great choice for lactose intolerant people or those who want to minimize their dairy intake.
Whey isolate also contains all essential amino acids, making it an excellent source of nutrition for athletes and people looking to improve their muscle mass.
Think of isolate as a highly concentrated form of whey focused on reaching 90% whey protein where as concentrate is a big more dairy-like and a bit closer to nature. (And why we like concentrate here at Wild foods.)