How To Make Wild Drinking Cocoa
Most people think hot chocoate or hot cocoa is supposed to be sweet. But that's not how the ancient Mayans used to drink it, and they invented the drink!
It was a savory, even bitter, beverage made from grinding up cocoa beans into a fine paste and then steeping in hot water.
Fortunately for us, we can add a dash of sweetener!
This recipe is nearly identical to our Wild Butter Brew Coffee recipe, but by using milk or water instead of coffee as the base (butter being optional), you end up with the drink recipe below.
A thing we often encourage here at Wild Foods is experimenting in the kitchen.
That means to look at a recipe as a "template" and not a "recipe."
We want you to look at a recipe, like the one below, and follow it as a rough guideline, making tweaks here and there and tasting and refining your final concoction.
Because you are a unique little snowflake (and I mean that with all sincerity), you have a different palate and preference for the foods you eat and drink.
You might like your drinks sweeter or not sweet at all. You might prefer iced over hot drinks (like I do). And so on.
The recipe below is our Wild Recipe Template take on traditional hot Cocoa/Drinking Chocolate
Step 1: Bring 10 Ounces Water To Near Boil In Small Pot
Step 2: Add 2 TBSP Wild Chocolate Powder
Step 3: Add 1-2 TBSP Sweetener (We Used Xylitol)
Step 4: Add A Dash Of Sea Salt
Step 5: Stir
Step 6: Taste And Adjust If Necessary
Step 7: Pour Into Your Favorite Mug
Step 8: DRINK!
The Recipe Template
- 10 Ounces Water, Wild Coffee or Choice Milk
- 2 TBSP Wild Chocolate
- 2 Teaspoons Preferred Sweetener
- Dash of Sea Salt
Optional Ingredients To Experiment With:
- Dash Cayenne Pepper
- Dash Turmeric
- 1-2 TBSP Wild MCT Oil
- 1-2 TBSP Unsalted Pastured Butter or Ghee
- 1-2 TBSP Coconut Milk or Cream
- 1 TBSP Wild Cocoa Butter
- 1/2 TSP Wild Vanilla Powder
1. Heat liquid in saucepan over medium-low heat
2. Whisk in ingredients
3. Taste and adjust to desired strength and sweetness
- Note: If using butter or cocoa butter, blend to create a frothy brew.
- Iced: Pour into mason jar and place in freezer for 5 minutes before adding ice.
- Smoothie: After step 2, place ingredients and 2 cups of ice in blender and blend.
- Protein: Let mixture cool a bit, then add 1 scoop of Wild Whey and shake to combine!