This time of year, sweet potatoes are in season and make a great addition to any meal. But if you want something a little different from your usual sweet potato dish, try this recipe for sweet potato casserole!
This dish is not only healthy and easy to make, but it's also delicious. It's perfect for a holiday potluck or family dinner. And it can easily be made vegan and gluten-free. So whether you're looking for a healthier option this holiday season or want to try something new, give this recipe a try!
What You'll Need
This casserole is healthy and easy to make with simple ingredients.
Here's what you'll need:
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel and chop two large sweet potatoes into bite-size pieces.
- On a baking sheet, spread the sweet potato pieces evenly and roast for 25 minutes.
- Mix 1/4 cup of melted butter, 1/4 cup of brown sugar, and one teaspoon of ground cinnamon in a bowl.
- Take the sweet potatoes out of the oven once they have roasted and give them five minutes to cool. When coated, add them to the butter mixture's bowl and whisk.
- Pour the sweet potato mixture into an 8-by-8-inch casserole dish and spread it into an even layer.
- Top with 1/2 cup of chopped pecans (optional) and bake for 10-15 minutes or until heated. Serve warm, and enjoy!
Why Sweet Potatoes are Good for You
The humble sweet potato is often overshadowed by its more famous cousin, the regular potato. But many people need to realize that sweet potatoes are more nutritious and have many health benefits.
Here are just a few explanations for why you ought to begin including sweet potatoes in your diet:
They're packed with vitamins and minerals. Manganese, potassium, and vitamins A and C are all abundant in sweet potatoes. They also contain small amounts of other essential vitamins and minerals, like B vitamins, iron, and magnesium.
They're good for your gut. Sweet potatoes contain dietary fiber, which is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system. Fiber keeps things moving quickly in your intestines and helps give your feces weight.
They help regulate blood sugar levels. Sweet potatoes are a low-glycemic food, which means they don't cause big spikes in blood sugar levels after eating them. This makes them a good choice for people with diabetes or trying to manage their weight.
They may boost immunity. The vitamins and minerals in sweet potatoes can support the immune system and lower the chance of contracting certain diseases. For example, vitamin A is essential for healthy skin and eyesight, while vitamin C helps keep the immune system functioning correctly.
So, pick up some sweet potatoes next time you're at the grocery store! They make a delicious and healthy addition.
Variations to the Recipe
There are endless possibilities regarding variations on this healthy and easy sweet potato casserole recipe. For a more savory dish, add some chopped bacon or sausage. Or, add some dried cranberries or chopped apples for a touch of sweetness.
You could also experiment with different spices, such as adding a teaspoon of curry powder or swapping out the cinnamon for pumpkin pie spice. The sky's the limit! So get creative with your unique twist on this delicious holiday classic.
This healthy and easy sweet potato casserole recipe is perfect for any holiday potluck or family gathering. It's packed with nutrient-rich ingredients like sweet potatoes, pecans, and cranberries, and it's sure to please even the pickiest of eaters.
Best of all, enjoying your party stress-free can be made ahead of time. Try this dish, then share your thoughts in the comments below.