Are you looking for a sweet treat but want to maintain your vegetarian diet? Fear not, because there are plenty of delicious and cruelty-free candy options!
This blog has covered whether you want to buy in-store or make something at home. We will provide a list of the best vegetarian candy available and some easy DIY recipes you can make at home with ingredients from your pantry. So keep reading if you need some sugar-filled inspiration!
Twizzlers are one of the top vegetarian candy options, making them easy to make at home. When making homemade Twizzlers, there are a few things to remember.:
- To precisely measure the temperature of the sugar syrup, you'll need a candy thermometer.
- You'll need to add food coloring to achieve that classic Twizzler red color.
- You'll need to twist the cooked candy into long strips using a pastry bag or piping tip.
To make your Twizzlers:
- Start by cooking sugar, corn syrup, water, and salt in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Insert a candy thermometer after the mixture begins to boil, and heat it until it reaches 315 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Once the correct hue is attained, turn off the heat and continue stirring in the red food coloring.
- Quickly pour the mixture into a pastry bag, or piping tip fitted with a star tip and twist it into long strips onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
Let the candy cool completely before enjoying it.
Starbursts are one of the most popular candy options for vegetarians. They are chewy and fruity and come in a variety of flavors. While the original flavor is orange, there are also lemon, grape, strawberry, and cherry options.
Starbursts can be made at home with a few simple ingredients for those looking for a DIY option. All you need is sugar, corn syrup, water, gelatin, food coloring, and flavoring.
The process is relatively simple: cook the sugar and corn syrup together until it forms a thick syrup, then add the gelatin and water and mix well. Once everything is combined, add your desired food coloring and flavoring, and voila, once everything is connected! You have homemade Starbursts.
Skittles are one of the most popular vegetarian candy options. They are made with sugar, corn syrup, and natural and artificial flavors. The colors of Skittles are derived from fruits and vegetables.
There are many different flavors of Skittles, including:
- Original: Cherry, Lemon, Orange, Grape, Strawberry
- Fruit: Apple, Banana, Blackberry, Blueberry, Cranberry, Grapefruit, Kiwi, Lemon Lime, Mango Melon, Orange Creamsicle, Peach Pear, Pineapple, Strawberry Watermelon
- Sour: Cherry Lemonade, Green Apple, Lemon, Orange, and Pink Lemonade
- Wild Berry: Blue Raspberry, Boysenberry, Cranberry, raspberry strawberry
Skittles are also available in various packages, including fun size, share size, and resealable pouches.
Sour Patch Kids
Sour Patch Kids are a popular candy option for vegetarians, and there are many ways to enjoy them. One way is to eat them as is or use them in recipes.
One popular recipe is Sour Patch Kid pie. To make this, you will need one unbaked 9-inch pie crust, 1 cup Sour Patch Kids (any flavor), 3/4 cup sugar, three tablespoons cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1 cup water, two tablespoons butter, and one teaspoon vanilla extract.
To make the pie:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a 9-inch pie pan, place the pie crust.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, stir together the Sour Patch Kids, sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Add water and butter, and continue stirring until the mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pie crust—Bake for 30 minutes.
Let cool before serving.
You can also attempt Sour Patch Kid brownies if you want something different. To make these, you will need: 1 cup all-purpose flour, 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, one teaspoon baking powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup butter (softened), 2 cups sugar, four eggs, one teaspoon vanilla extract,1 cup miniature Sour Patch Kids candies.
Swedish Fish are a popular candy that is often thought to be made with fish gelatin. However, these candies are vegetarian-friendly and made with potato starch and maize syrup. Swedish Fish come in various colors and can be found at most grocery stores.
How to make your vegetarian candy
Why not make your own if you're looking for a delicious vegetarian candy option? Homemade candy is always a hit, making a vegetarian version of your favorite treat accessible. Here are some guidelines for making your vegan candy:
- Choose a recipe that doesn't require any animal products. There are plenty of great recipes for vegetarian candy, so you shouldn'tshould be able to find one that meets your needs quickly.
- Make sure all of your ingredients are vegetarian-friendly. This includes things like chocolate, peanut butter, and marshmallows.
- Follow the recipe to the letter. Candy making can be an exact science, so it's essential to follow the instructions closely to get the best results.
- Enjoy your homemade candy! Both vegans and non-vegetarians are likely to enjoy these delicacies.
Vegetarian candy is an excellent way for vegans and vegetarians to enjoy the same treats as everyone else without sacrificing their beliefs or lifestyle. We hope that we have provided you with enough information to help you identify which vegetarian candy options are available in stores and some DIY recipes so that you can make your tasty treats at home. So grab some vegan-friendly candy, invite over friends and family, and treat yourselves!