The Comanche Native people offer a powerful example for the case of ancestral eating. They have been called “a Stone Age people living within twenty years of the twentieth century.”
The Comanche lived a difficult life: they were nomadic and never stayed anywhere for more than three weeks at a time. They had no agriculture, and they were expert horseback riders and hunters. Their diet consisted almost entirely of buffalo.
They would make pemmican, or dried bison meat, for times when animals were scarce. But normally, they would use every single part of the buffalo. If they had killed a calf, they would eat the partially digested cheese in its stomach like a kind of cheese.
Outside of the buffalo, they had few options in their environs, which ended up being the areas around what we now call Austin, Texas (aka Wild Foods HQ!), and San Antonio.
They could harvest some blackberries in their short growing season, or find some pecans or black walnuts. But the Comanche ate almost entirely meat, and their ancestors were probably the Siberians who crossed the frozen Bering Strait during the last Ice Age (there’s no farming on the tundra)!
For many years, Paleo diets have been popular. Now the ketogenic diet is growing, but it still can be a challenge to find good keto diet recipes that aren’t crazy difficult to make. On this page, we are providing a host of articles we have gathered from all over the web, offering the best keto recipes.
Go ahead and favorite this page: we will be updating it regularly as a “best of” post, and we hope to gather enough recipes you like that you will use it as a go-to for meal inspiration.
Keto Recipes for Breakfast
Standard breakfast can be a nightmare for those trying to go keto: pancakes, muffins, cereal, and other forms of carbs abound! But breakfast is a fairly easy meal to find keto substitutes for.
Remember that eggs, bacon, sausage, and avocado are all good options. However, if you are new to keto, remember to check your packages, as somehow there are even sausages and bacon being sold that contain sugar and other bad ingredients in them.
Once you’ve sourced good ingredients, try some of these ketogenic recipes.
Drink Your Fat: Ketogenic Recipes in the AM
We particularly like breakfast to include a lot of fat, and sometimes this means we go for what we call the Super fat Elixir.
You start with your base drink of choice—coffee, tea, or water—and add a nutritionally potent and metabolically friendly creamer option, either cocoa butter (a vegan option) or grass-fed butter or ghee.
Eliminating carbohydrates from your breakfast ritual is a huge way to improve your overall health and well being. Because we are so passionate about the potential this morning drink ritual can have to change your life, we have broken down how you can make this drink for yourself:
The Wild Super fat Elixir Base Template
- 1 cup Wild Coffee
- 1 tablespoon Wild MCT Oil
- 1 tablespoon of pastured butter, ghee, or Wild Cocoa Butter
- 1 tablespoon Wild Cocotropic Mushroom Mix
- 1 tablespoon Wild Chocolate Powder
- Dash of Wild Vanilla Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon organic cinnamon
- Additionally, you can add 1 scoop of Wild Whey or Wild Collagen after step 3 then pulse to blend.
- 1/2-1 teaspoon xylitol from maple (not corn) or:
- Maple syrup
Warning: Honey and maple syrup will knock you out of ketosis/fasting.
- Coffee brewing vessel (French press, Chemex, drip)
- Mason jar or mug
- Brew coffee using your preferred method.
- Place hot coffee in a blender with 1-2 tablespoons of MCT oil, 1-2 tablespoons of preferred butter choice, and any optional ingredients.
- Blend for 1 second, until frothy.
- If you prefer your beverage hot, drink it now. If not, proceed to the next step.
How to Ice your Superfat Elixir:
- Place Elixir in the freezer for 1-2 minutes to cool it down.
- Remove from the freezer.
- Add ice and give it a shake.
- Blending too aggressively. Blend or pulse in short bursts.
- Using coconut oil instead of MCT oil. Coconut oil leaves a coconut aftertaste and doesn’t have the same smooth consistency as MCT, which means coconut oil has trouble emulsifying. You can use it, but MCT works much better.
- Not using quality, fresh coffee beans. Wild Coffee beans are freshly roasted, single-origin, fair trade, and organic. They are ultra-premium and uber-fresh. Using quality coffee makes a HUGE difference in not only how your butter brew comes out, but also in how you’ll feel after you drink it.
There you have it: a daily drink, full of superfoods, to build your life around.
Best Keto Recipes for Breakfast
- 90 Second Microwavable Low Carb Keto Bread [Gimme Delicious]
- Sugar-Free Strawberry Jam [Low Carb Maven]
- Cheesy Sausage and Egg “Muffins” [Averie Cooks]
- Blueberry Pancakes [The Big Man’s World]
- Brussels Sprouts Hash [Delish]
Keto Dinner Recipes
- Roasted Vegetables Salad [Keto Vale]
- Keto Reuben Skillet [Diet Doctor]
- Cheeseburger Salad [Wholesome Yum]
- Beef Stroganoff Burgers [Peace, Love and Low Carb]
- Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Peppers [Low Carb Maven]
Keto Recipes for Fan Favorites
Sometimes, you just want pizza. This section corrals recipes that are keto-friendly takes on decidedly keto-unfriendly foods.
- Meatza: the Keto Pizza [Little Pine Low Carb]
- Keto Fried Rice [Happy Keto]
- Keto Butter Chicken [Cast Iron Keto]
- Chinese Pork with Brussel Sprouts [Diet Doctor]
- Cheesy Keto Enchiladas [Keto Connect]
Ketogenic Recipes for Dessert
Just because you’re keto doesn’t mean you can’t eat dessert. There are so many keto-friendly sweeteners out there now thanks to science, like erythritol and xylitol.
Here are some dessert recipes guaranteed to please:
- Salted Caramel Chocolate Chip Cookies [Peace, Love and Low Carb]
- Fluffy Chocolate Mousse [Gnom-Gnom]
- Peanut Butter Pie [Life Tastes Good]
- Pumpkin Spice Smoothie [The Wholesome Foodie]
- No-Bake Chocolate Brownie Balls [Reddit]
Best Keto Recipes for Fat Bombs
For a boost of energy from good fats or even just a decadent treat, fat bombs are an awesome way to quickly ingest nutrients without sacrificing taste, quality, or fun. You can meet them in your coffee for an on-the-go meal substitute, or enjoy them after a hard workout or a busy day.
We love fat bombs. Here are our recipes and ones from around the web:
- Mexican Chocolate Fat Bombs [Wild Foods]
- Pecan Pie Fat Bombs [Bakerita]Shout out to Bakerita for these awesome pecan fat bombs that remind the Wild Foods team of home in Austin, Texas!
- White Chocolate Fat Bombs [Low Carb Yum]
- White Chocolate Peanut Butter Fat Bombs [Tasty Yummies]
- White Chocolate Butter Pecan Fat Bombs [Tasteaholics]
- Chocolate Fat Bombs [Covered Katie]
Keto Recipes: Quick and Dirty Clean
We get it: Entrepreneurs, professionals, and savvy people trying to get stuff done just need some quick keto recipes. If you are short on prep time, consider these easy options:
- A halved avocado sprinkled with some Wild Himalayan Pink Salt
- Scrambled eggs, ground beef, and veggies cooked in a skillet
- Avocado Deviled Eggs [Keto Connect]
- Nom Chocolate Mousse [Reddit]
Sources for Commanche information: