In today's fast-paced world, stress is inevitable. Whether you are a student juggling assignments or a professional with an over-demanding boss, stress will find you eventually.
This type of stress is usually referred to as 'acute' or 'intermittent,' short bursts of intense stress that we can recover from quickly. On the other hand, chronic stress is another beast entirely. It is prolonged stress that undermines our body and mind over extended periods.
In this blog post, we will talk about adaptogenic herbs and their effectiveness in dealing with these stressful situations. These herbs can help your body adapt to various stressors by balancing your adrenal response and reducing physiological responses like blood pressure, heart rate, and cortisol levels when under extreme duress.
What are Adaptogenic Herbs?
An adaptogen is a supplement that increases your body's ability to adapt to stressful situations. These herbs have various benefits, like lowering blood pressure and boosting the immune system, making them incredibly important for overall health.
These herbs can help the body deal with stressful situations and have been proven effective in treating many ailments. They are also safe to take regularly, even long-term, making them a great addition to your daily health regimen.
Why We Need Adaptogenic Herbs
As we mentioned earlier, stress is inevitable. However, it is essential to note that not all pressure is created equal. Intermittent stress helps you push your boundaries and perform at your best. It is when this stress becomes chronic that it becomes detrimental.
Because the effects of chronic stress are so dangerous, the body is designed to keep it at bay at all costs. When the adrenal glands are activated, they produce stress hormones that increase blood pressure, heart rate, and blood sugar levels and reduce appetite.
These hormones are meant to be short-term and last for a few minutes. Those under chronic stress, however, will have high levels of these hormones circulating in their bodies for extended periods, which can contribute to various health issues like insomnia, anxiety, and autoimmune diseases.
How do Adaptogenic Herbs Work?
As we mentioned earlier, when the adrenal glands are activated under stress, they produce hormones like adrenaline, cortisol, and norepinephrine. These herbs are incredibly effective in how they interact with your body and help reduce the production of those harmful hormones.
For example, Siberian Ginseng has been found to inhibit the enzyme that produces cortisol. This makes it an incredibly effective herb in reducing the body's cortisol.
11 Powerful Adaptogenic Herbs
Let's take a closer look at 11 powerful adaptogenic herbs that can help your body adapt to stressful situations:
- Ashwagandha is one of the most potent. It has been used to alleviate anxiety and stress for thousands of years. Ashwagandha is also effective in treating various health issues, like insomnia, arthritis, and hypertension. You can consume ashwagandha in a few ways, including tea, a powder, or an extract. You can also find it in herbal supplements.
- Bacopa is an herb that has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years. It has been proven effective in treating anxiety and insomnia and is even being studied as a treatment for Alzheimer's disease. You can find bacopa in tea and extract form, like in this bacopa extract.
- Gotu Kola is another powerful adaptogen, and it has also been used for thousands of years to reduce anxiety and stress. It can also treat eczema, psoriasis, and even wrinkles. You can find Gotu kola in tea and extract form, like in this Gotu kola extract.
- Ginseng is known for being effective in treating a wide variety of health issues, including boosting immunity, reducing anxiety, improving cognition, and even improving libido. Ginseng can be consumed in tea, extract, or pill form.
- Lobelia is also an incredibly potent adaptogen. It has been proven effective in treating asthma, anxiety, and hypertension. It is also one of the best herbs for treating insomnia. You can find lobelia in tea or extract form.
- Rhodiola is another herb that is incredibly effective in treating anxiety and stress. It has also been proven effective in treating depression and improving overall health. You can find Rhodiola in tea or extract form like in this Rhodiola rose extract.
- Suma is another potent herb that has been proven to be effective in treating anxiety and stress. It has been used for thousands of years in Ayurvedic medicine and is effective against eczema, joint pain, and even diabetes. You can find some in tea or extract form, like in this suma root extract.
- Tulsi is an herb that has been used in Ayurvedic medicine for thousands of years. It has been proven effective in treating anxiety, autoimmune diseases, and diabetes by regulating blood sugar levels. You can find tulsi in tea and extract form, like in this tea.
As you can see, adaptogenic herbs are incredibly effective in dealing with stress. They are teeming with nutrients supporting the immune building, body regulation, and lowering blood sugar levels.
You can find adaptogenic herbs in tea, herb extract, or even supplement. They are straightforward to incorporate into your daily routine and help you deal with stress like a pro.