Bacopa monnieri is a plant that grows in the wetlands of India and Australia. It has long been used to increase memory, alertness, and concentration.
Scientists have found active components of bacopa called bacosides that increase acetylcholine esterase activity (AChE). This enzyme breaks down the chemical messenger acetylcholine.
Acetylcholine is a neurotransmitter that is critically important for learning new information and storing it as memories so you can recall it later. So, if you want to boost your memory, concentration, and alertness, then taking Bacopa monnieri might be a good idea.
How to Take It?
The most conventional method of consuming bacopa is taking it as a pill (like our Wild Focus stack that includes it as a primary ingredient).
To consume bacopa as a tincture, add 10-15 drops of the tincture to a glass of water. You can also add some lemon juice or honey for flavor and taste. You can consume this tincture 2-3 times a day.
If you are using bacopa for medical purposes, follow the prescribed dosage. Even though there are no set standards for the dosage, most experts recommend the following: Adult men and women can take 300 mg of bacopa monnieri up to three times a day.
Benefits of Bacopa Monnieri
Here are some of the benefits of taking bacopa monnieri:
- May improve Memory: Bacopa monnieri is known to improve memory by stimulating the neurons in the hippocampus, which is the part of the brain responsible for memory.
- Treatment of Anxiety and Depression: Bacopa monnieri has been studied to treat depression and anxiety by increasing serotonin levels in the body. It is also known to treat mood swings and strengthens the nervous system.
- Treatment of ADD and ADHD: ADD and ADHD are conditions where the individual is either too hyperactive or too lethargic. Bacopa monnieri is known to reduce these symptoms by helping reduce cortisol levels.
- Aid in Weight Loss: One of the most important benefits of taking bacopa monnieri is that it may aid in weight loss. The active compounds in this herb can help you lose weight and reduce cholesterol levels.
- Aid in Arthritis Treatment: To reduce inflammation, bacopa has been used in conjunction with other protocols to help fight arthritis and reduce overall discomfort.
Warnings and Side Effects
Bacopa monnieri is a natural herb, and there are no known side effects when taken in the prescribed dosage. However, there are certain precautions that you should keep in mind if you want to take bacopa.
Pregnant and nursing women should avoid taking bacopa monnieri as there is not enough information about the effects of bacopa on the fetus or breastfeeding mothers. Individuals suffering from mental health conditions like schizophrenia, anxiety, and depression should avoid taking bacopa monnieri as it might worsen their condition.
Bacopa monnieri might interact with certain medications like anticonvulsants, anti-inflammatories, blood thinners, and antidepressants. Hence, it is best to consult a doctor before starting the supplementation of bacopa monnieri.
Bacopa monnieri might interfere with the body's absorption of iron, zinc, and calcium. Consider taking it an hour or more after meals to avoid this effect.
Bacopa monnieri is a natural herb used since ancient times to boost memory and treat various mental health disorders. It is also known to help you lose weight and treat arthritis.
Bacopa monnieri is known to work best when taken in combination with other nootropic supplements like ginkgo biloba, ginseng, and rooibos.
- https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-020-80045-2 0
- https://pfaf.org/user/Plant.aspx?LatinName=Bacopa+monnieri 1
- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3153866/ 2
- https://examine.com/supplements/bacopa-monnieri/ 3
- https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/638109 4
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacopa_monnieri 5
- https://www.verywellhealth.com/the-benefits-of-bacopa-89039 6
- https://neuropedia.com/bacopa-monnieri-benefits/ 7
- https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/bacopa-monnieri-benefits 8