Recipe for Coconut Water Kefir
It may sound like an odd drink, but coconut water kefir is refreshing and healthy. It's a fermented dairy product made from coconut milk and kefir grains. Kefir is a type of yogurt that has been around for centuries.
It's incredibly high in probiotics, which are suitable for gut health. Coconut water kefir is also a great source of electrolytes and vitamin C. If you're looking for a healthy drink to add to your diet, give coconut water kefir a try. You may be surprised at how delicious it is!
What is Kefir?
Kefir is a fermented milk product that originated in the Caucasus region. It's made by taking milk and incubating it with a probiotic culture, which helps to promote gut health. Kefir can be plain or flavored with fruits, sweeteners, or herbs.
How to Make Coconut Water Kefir
Making coconut water kefir is easy and can be a fun project for the whole family. You will need the following:
- 1 cup of young, fresh coconuts
- 1 cup of kefir grains
- 2 cups of water
- A large bowl or pot that will fit all of the ingredients comfortably
- A sprig of fresh ginger for flavoring (optional)
To make the coconut water kefir, place the coconuts in a bowl and cover them with water. Soak them for at least an hour, but preferably overnight. Note that if you have hard water, soak your coconuts for an extra hour.
After they have absorbed, drain the water and rinse the coconuts well. Cut the top off each coconut and remove the meat with a sharp knife—Reserve 1 cup of the coconut meat for later use. Place the remaining coconut meat in a blender or food processor, and blend until smooth.
Be careful not to over-blend – you want a bit of texture left to enjoy as much flavor as possible when making your kefir. Next, add 1 cup of kefir grains to a large bowl or pot that comfortably fits all the ingredients.
Pour in 2 cups of water and stir well to combine. Bring the mixture to a gentle boil over medium heat before lowering it to a simmer. Do not let it boil – if it does, the kefir.
What to Expect from Coconut Water Kefir
If you're looking for a delicious and nutritious drink, give coconut water kefir a try. Coconut water kefir is made from coconut milk and kefir grains and has a slightly acidic taste. It's also high in potassium, magnesium, vitamin C, and antioxidants.
The benefits of consuming coconut water kefir include:
- Improved digestion.
- More robust immune system.
- Better skin health.
- Weight loss benefits.
- Relief from fatigue and stress headaches.
- Improved mental clarity.
Some people even report that it helps to reduce chronic pain.
- You'll need these ingredients to produce coconut water kefir: 1 cup of shredded, unsweetened coconut flakes
- 2 cups almond or other non-dairy milk, unsweetened
- One tablespoon of organic honey or sugar
- Vanilla extract, one teaspoon
- Combine the shredded coconut flakes, almond milk (or similar non-dairy milk), sugar, honey, and vanilla extract in a large bowl. This recipe calls for one package of active cultures (kefir grains).
- Pour the mixture into a blender or food processor fitted with the "S" blade and blend until smooth.
- Pour the mixture into an airtight container and let it sit at room temperature for 8-12 hours to allow the kefir to develop lactic acid bacteria.
- If you wish to prepare this beverage in advance, you can keep it in the freezer for up to two months or the refrigerator for up to three days.