How to Brew Coffee With A French Press
The French press is a widespread and trusted method of brewing coffee. That's probably because it is so easy to use—it is the simplest brewing method that doesn't use an automatic coffee maker. But that doesn't mean you can't still screw up a mug of French press. You can.
First, after you are done brewing--about 4-6 minutes total--pour all of the coffee out of the French press. If it sits, it will over-extract.
Second, let your grounds "bloom" a bit by pouring enough hot water over the grounds until all the grounds are wet and letting them sit for 60 seconds. This enables the coffee to release various gasses, contributing to a better-tasting brew.
The final tip for not screwing up a French press brew is to use a coffee-to-water ratio of about 1:10 or 1:12. If you are using 300 grams of water, use 30 grams of coffee.
- French Press
- 300g Hot filtered water at 205°
- 30g Fresh Coffee Ground to a coarse grind (about the size of coarse sea salt)
- Rinse French press with some hot water, then discard
- Add grounds to press and pour hot water over grounds until grounds are all saturated
- Lightly stir grounds and let bloom for 30-60 seconds
- Pour the rest of the water over the grounds, stir and let brew for another 3-4 minutes
- Push the plunger down and pour out all of the coffee. (If you leave the grounds in the water, it will over-extract.)
The Aeropress Method
The Aeropress is an invention by Alan Adler, inventor of the Aerobie Frisbee.
It's a fun way to brew and is excellent for traveling because it's small and light. (There's even an Aeropress World Championship.)
- Premium Whole Bean Coffee
- Coffee grinder
- Hot water
- Grind 18oz coffee to as fine as table salt
- Invert Aeropress and insert plunger until it is set at 4
- Bring 12oz water to a boil
- Rinse the filter and end cap with a bit of hot water
- Add grounds to inverted Aeropress
- Pour water that is 30 seconds off boil over the grounds to wet grounds
- Let bloom for 30 seconds (you will see little bubbles)
- Stir grounds
- Pour in the rest of the water
- Place the top and flip over a cup or mug
- Press slowly (about 20 seconds) until you hear a hissing sound
*Combine your freshly brewed coffee with some Wild MCT Oil, pastured butter, and a dash of Wild Chocolate and Wild Vanilla and blend!